Monday, August 6, 2007

Secret Pal 11 Questionnaire

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I love the 100% wools and the wool blends. Cotton is nice because it is washable, but my wrists get sore. I'm not that crazy about *fun* yarn - the furs and stuff, because i find them difficult to knit with.

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
I have a crafter's tote and use the top layer to lay the different needles in along with a chocolate tin with a hinged lid for the hooks and I also have some hanging on my pegboard in my 1/4 finished craft nook (half my bedroom).

3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn?
I started knitting when I was 6 or so and my Beppe taught me the basics. The rest I picked up over the years. I then perused whatever how to books my Mom had and scoured the thrift stores for magazines and projects. There was a huge wish list with only a few items actually being completed.
Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I would say that I am an intermediate knitter. There are things that make absolutely no sense to me and others that I read and know what it will be. I am willing to try, it's just budgeting the time for a pattern repeat or section that needs to be worked.

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
No.

5. What's your favorite scent?
I am sensitive to many perfumes and fragrances. (probably allergic to one ingredient,but most of them just make me sneeze). I love the honey scents and most fruit scents.

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Yes
Favorite candy? Dark chocolate, and real fruit gummies. I love the way the gummies taste like the fruit and are *good for you*.

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? I enjoy crochet, sewing, am working on a quilt, needlepoint, cross stitch and occasionally do scrapbooking. I love to get in the garden and am a decent cook/baker. I try to do a lot myself, but usually need some help. Do you spin? No. I think for now, I have enough on the go.


8. What kind of music do you like? Country and some of the older soft rock. Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD) I don't know - I'm not even sure what an MP3 is. I know my sister-in-law made me a CD and that plays well.

9. What's your favorite color(s)? I love blue and brown (chocolate colour)
Any colors you just can't stand? I'm not crazy about neon and pastel shades, but most colours I like.

10. What is your family situation? Three gurlz - 31, 6 and 22 months Do you have any pets? one fish, a beta named Buddy or Goldie, depending on the day.

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos? Yes to all of these. We get lots of snow.

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit? Currently socks - they are quicker than sweaters. I enjoy knitting and crocheting doll clothes. I also have discovered a love for the join as you go projects/knit a square and pick up your next square on the edge. I hate seams.

13. What are you knitting right now? A pair of socks for a friend. Also working on a purse for my niece and there are always the UFO's. I want to make my Christmas gifts this year.

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts? Yes, because then I feel that special link with the giver/maker.

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?
The circulars and dpns are turning into my favourite for everything.
Bamboo, aluminum, plastic? like the aluminum (addi turbos) for circ, but the bamboo are lovely for dpn. I haven't found a plastic I particularly like.

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
I have a lovely yarn winder that has saved me countless hours but no swift.

17. How old is your oldest UFO?
my oldest UFO (non knitting) is 11 years old - the lovely couple celebrate 10 years and the cross stitch is not done.
In knitting land, it is a Moeibus wrap in lovely kid seta. It's my leave it for a while, knit a few rows and then pick something else up. It began as a gorgeous sweater, but because of the lace effect, the dropped stitches (2) were very visible and impossible to pick up.

18. What is your favorite holiday? the non-commercial ones. My favourite holiday 'symbol' is the angel - we collect ornaments for our Christmas tree.

19. Is there anything that you collect?
Does yarn count? I love cookie cutters in different shapes. I'm always looking for something a little unique. I have a cat figure collection from when I was younger.

20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on?

Books - Knitting Lingerie Style and I would like a sock knitting book, but haven't found one that really strikes me. I have a hard time following the couple I've borrowed from the library. Innocent in Death by J.D. Robb
Interweave Felt - the new one out now.

Yarn, this colour and I'd like to make my sister some socks in the Tiffany colours. I would like the yarn to make the 25th anniversary VK cover (the actual magazine cover) scarf by Nicki Epstein.

Patterns - there was one I saw on someones blog the other day, and forgot to write down the name.
Needles - something a little different. Normal to knit with but looking special or something.

What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have? None at the present. I find that I check the magazines at the store and pick the ones I like.

21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
I would like to do some lace knitting. Nothing to crazy in the pattern department, but I would like to make a shawl.

22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
I am becoming a sock knitter. My third and fourth pairs are on the needles and I want to make some monkey socks. My foot is 8 3/4 long by 9 around.

23. When is your birthday?
December 2nd

24. Are you on Ravelry?
Not yet - I'm in the 11,000, so a little wait is in store.

No comments: