Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Life in the fast lane, raising children and home renovations

Well, I think I am totally back now. I was in Ottawa for training last week. I took the train as I refused to drive and the airport was really not that convenient. Lovely thing riding the train - they feed you and 'water you'. Hope to do it with the kids one day. I managed a visit to Yarn Forward for some small indulgences -all for my swap partner I swear - I'm only lying a little; and my wardrobe was enhanced with a coat, dress and sweater. Very lovely. I had a stopover in Toronto, so I took a streetcar to Lettuce Knit - lovely store with so much, but only bought (something for my swap partner) and something for me. As soon as I find what I bought and the camera, I may remember to take photos. also walked by parliament, drank with strange people in bars and ate some delicious food.
Raising children - what could I mean?!?!?! This is not difficult is it??? When they are both redheads like their mother and carry a number of traits from their fathers well, you get the picture. Due to the big gurl's temper, I may not get to go tobogganing on Sunday, skating on Saturday and to Florida in April. Whom is really being punished (we will not discuss the screen door that won the kick the wall, kick the locked door or possible harm child who has locked you out of the house lottery. I repeat that the child was not harmed. Some may say I should have, however, I have learned that when they are unreasonable, nothing really works. BUT i get a new screen door and I really hate the current one (now more than ever).
Home Renovations - they have taken a kleine bettja longer than expected. The current estimate is this coming Sunday - primed walls, painted ceiling and all construction materials gone. However there are a few issues...
1. The previous owner only took the carpet to the trim, so I have about a 1 inch gap on all interior walls. Since I hate the carpet, the whole new flooring issue has arisen and pricing of various floors is occurring. This will add at least 2 days.
2. Trim and paint have not been chosen. Due to item 1, there is some hemming and hawing going on about this.
3. My furniture no longer suits the rooms but is so big as to make it impossible to take it out and... therefore, what colour(s) to paint.
4. My eldest gurl does not handle changes well and has been acting up rather nastily, therefore we must hurry the timeframe along.
.....
In other news, my SOTS is 1/3 of the way into hint 7 (of 8) so, I cast on SOTS ii. It is about 1/4 of the way. The nephew's scarf was very well received and is loved, but someone always forgets to take pictures. I have a pair of Widdershins that are gusset increasing. My Dashing are going nowhere. I have at least 2 things to finish before the end of the month.
Can't find yarn to do one of those, however swore, that would not buy more after last Friday. I've lied before though.
And how are all of you?

6 comments:

Crystal said...

Maybe we should trade! After the outbursts the last few weeks, I've was considering giving him away too. You should have seen it last night! I finally went to bed and locked my door, leaving him screaming and hitting the other side of it. At least I know I am not the only one:)
And do you want carpet? cause bamboo flooring is soooooooooo pretty.

Unknown said...

I'm so jealous of your trip to Lettuce Knit. Someday... Someday...

Heather said...

Whew I was tired just reading it!!! The knitting store Lettuce knit sounds cool though....

Heather said...

I knitted a SOCK!!! Can you believe it!!!

Monika said...

I'm with Heather, already exhausted for the day, just reading this post. I have two grown kids. I now know what angels they have been. :o)
And yes, I will carry more cash, and use the interac card less. Hope I'll get my money back.

Batty said...

Lettuce Knit sounds wonderful, as does taking the train. You can take metal needles and nobody thinks it's worrisome... oh, how I wish I could take the train up to Halifax in a couple of weeks! But, alas, it's air travel for me.

Congratulations on not harming the kid! A friend of mine says that they are so cute as babies to ensure we fall in love with them hopelessly so we don't kill them by the time they start to develop tempers and somewhat difficult... personalities. I think she's right -- I know that's the reason our cats haven't been turned into fuzzy slippers!